RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

ORIGINAL: Gungadin

Yes, I guess so, since the engine rear prop driver washer should be the same in relation to the front of the cowl. Only difference will be our stand off lengths cause yours has to take thickness of the soft mount into account and mine will probably go direct on the firewall.
Hmm... later I will do a couple of measurements to see what length stand-off's would be needed for hard mounting the SAP 180. The total length of the engine - from the prop drive washer back to the 2 studs that hold the choke plate - is right at 6 inches, maybe just a tiny bit more, but not much. So if you don't want the carb to protrude back into the motor box, that is the minimum. And really you don't want the carb to protrude past the motor box because the Walbro carb on the SAP 180 has a funky choke plate that I haven't seen before, which is literally a stamped metal plate that is spring loaded and rotates on a stud with an arm sticking out, and the other stud serving as a stop. (Glad I'm using a choke rod, so I don't have to figure out how to link a servo to that thing!) Also, since the motor box face isn't very robust, you want to leave as much material intact there as possible.

The motor box on the Focus II sticks out pretty far, so even with the minimum "carb-clearance" standoffs you may have to modify the motor box to shorten it somewhat. Firewall to cowl exit is 7-7/8", which is the magic number.