RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Joe,

Thanks for your input on the hinges. My two 74" planes have the stock hinges in them and I have something over 400 flights between the two planes and the hinges are all tight so far. On my 88" however I am going to take your suggestion and use the Robarts, it's not much money and I think that my 88" is going to be flown a LOT! I was carefully examining the stock hinges and even new they seem to have a little slop in them.

My thoughts on the hinge length is that they should slightly protrude through the wood on the inside. I use a tool to check the thickness of the wood at the holes and then cut my hinges a touch longer. I also sand my hinges to roughen them for the glue and then acetone.

James
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

The Robart hinge points are a little better IMO. The hinges have a little less play in them. Tell you the truth both work but I'd do it with Robarts if I did it again. I have a big bag of Robarts that I have for backups in case the EF ones are cut too short (the EF ones are cut too short for my tastes on the stabs). My two year old Extra has some play in the stab hinges. Rudder too.