RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another large scale Impreza project
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
VassilisG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another large scale Impreza project

ORIGINAL: Frederik_b

Thank you VassilisG

I am missing some tools for the lathe (no boring tool and not much tools at all to machine inner part of a tube) and I dont know how to do treads yet. I should be able to make a tool to tread the outside of the tube, but not the inside.

On the design side, I am not quite sure where to put the oil seals in the shock body, and how to make them hold in place. did you just machine a groove, and then screw a cap over it to squeeze it slightly ?

Also I have to make a large diameter shock rod to make sure it can handle lots of side forces. I dont think the stock fg shafts would endure much side shocks. I guess I will have some testing to do to find a design. What metal did you use for the shock rod ? I guess I have to choose a corrosion resistant metal ? So that the shaft stays smooth (harsh surface would damage seals ?)

The best would be a complete strut with shock and spring, but maybe I will start with a simple telescopic strut (no shock) and put the fg shock separately,(attached to the lower arm) so I can concentrate more on the chassis and drive system.

All ideas are welcome! Let me know if you have concerns about parts of the design. I am still a bit afraid that the belt may not handle enough power, but I figured that the torque was divided between front and rear, and there is less weight on the front during acceleration so it should help Also the rear wheels are gear driven so only the front may suffer a belt problem..

Another concern I have is the durability of the stock FG diff. I never drove an 1/5 scale car before and I have no idea what kind of power those diff can handle. I opened the diff and I see the gears are pretty large looks good quality.. but what do you think ? also the car will probably much heavier than a standard 1/5 car with this engine and all the crap I will bolt on the chassis hahahaha so that is more stress on all drive components.

Frederik

Hallo Frederik ,
it is very difficult to me to explain ( ... my english ) but I would like help you , so I'll take a photo (tomorrow) from my absorbs ( Lotus 7 ) and everything will be clear.
Absorbs are tube aluminium ,14mm hole - 20mm outside ( ... it isn't necessary to drill ) .
Rods are steely (simple or inox).

Belts . I like theme but I never use because I don't accredit its endurance. All these i could found are from cars (valves moving) so I always use chain .How you put chain from one side to the other of your car ,...it is a problem ( small ).You can use acetal drivers and small gears to hold the line ( photo from Lotus again but ....when I 'll make it ).

FG diff ? I think that most of times there are problems from pins and axles , not from gears.