RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System
Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
flycolorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

FWIW...  I "flew" the A9 today. It was an interesting flight as it was also a maiden on a H9 1/4 scale cub gasser. I will need to balance the transmitter on the neck strap. I us thumb and finger and it was very noticeable to have the bottom of the TX heavy. I was constantly re-arranging the radio in flight, not fun when you are trying to adjust trims. I had also enabled flaperons using the slider on the left side and I found myself accidental moving it around during flight. I'll have to move that function to a switch instead until I get used to holding this beast. It turns out the way I hold the transmitter those sliders are in the way. I'll get used to it I'm sure, 8+ years of flying with an 8U I'm bound to have to adjust. It feels much bigger than my old 8U, I'd liken it to going from an orange to a grapefruit. I do like the way the gimbals feel, and everything operated as advertised. This cub has over 4 feet of aileron extensions and I had no glitching issues at all. Low power range check was well over 300' when I gave up. As I mentioned earlier the display is difficult to read in the sunlight and bringing the TX up into view to check the timer is a waisted effort. Not a big deal I'm just used to checking the time periodically during flight, I don't like to do violent maneuvers when I'm on 1/4 or less of a tank. Took me about 20 minutes of prop flipping and tinkering to get the cub fired up (darn scale cowl, I have no access to the choke yet), and I flew for about 15 minutes. All in all I'd say I had 45 minutes "transmitting" and the meter said I used 20%. I'll try to report more on the battery life as I use the radio. All in all I like the radio, I have some adjustments to make but that's to be expected with anything new. I love not having to worry about other people (we had a guy who was flying on 72Mhz without a channel pin, he was the only person at the field until I showed up), and the short antenna is very nice. I'm anxiously awaiting nicer weather to get better acquainted with this new radio and all it's capabilities. If you look at the back wall of the cabin you can see the dual 9Ch antenna's