RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ace Extra 230 33% Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM
SticknRudder
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ace Extra 230 33% Fiberglass

Mike,
Thanks again for the info on how to include pictures.

From what I've been able to figure out, and with the help of some friends on this forum (and elsewhere), I've heard this build is basically old school ( "robust") but fairly simple. I'll decide if that's really a true statement or not, once Iget into it and post the results to this thread - there's no doubt it's robust. Today Ireceived a super nice canopy from Craig at FIberglass Specialties that will be checked against the new foam turtledeck and existing foam hatch. I'm not going to build the fuse in the traditional way against the plans, but have built fixturing that will position the formers inverted at the correct spacing through the centerline that will also maintain the 8.50 degree included angle generated by wing roots - then I'll start locating the longitudinal spars and plywood side plates (for lack of a better term). These will all be spotted-in with epoxy - Ilike Loctite E20-HP Hysol for all structural components.

Instead of splicing the plywood side plates to make up the new 54"overall length from F-1 to F-7, Ihad a buddy mill-up a couple pieces of old growth Spruce to replace these pieces, complete with lightening slots from F-4 back to the tail. I'll post these pictures later. So what's coming up are pictures of the new foam turtledeck, fixturing, and wing tube drilling. It's starting to get fun now.

Thanks, Stick