RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM 82" Hawker Hurricane
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ESM 82

ORIGINAL: pettit
I got a DLE-55 for the Hurricane but it was physically too big to fit on the firewall. The footprint of the standoffs didn't land on the wooden firewall inside the fuselage. Plus it was almost an inch too long.
After checking out each and every engine I thought would be suitable, I came to the conclusion that a good old Saito 180 four cycle would do the job just fine.
All the other gas engines either had stuff hanging out the sides, they were too big or they didn't have enough power.
Dick, I have been searching engine options for this 82" Hurricane and I keep coming back to the ZDZ 40 Rear Exhaust as the best candidate. My Hurricane from VQ Warbirds should deliver within the next few days and I will start measuring things up. The ZDZ 40 is expensive, but the nice thing about it is that both the carb and the muffler are on the back side and that may just work will in this narrow short nose. Having owned a ZDZ 40 I know that it will have the power to pull this bird around. When I ran them in the past I used 20 X 10 props with good success. Leo