RCU Forums - View Single Post - Professional builders. Are there any?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Professional builders. Are there any?

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

ORIGINAL: grotto2

Why do you hate building?

. . . there are few things in this sport more satisfying than flying, trimming and winning with your own custom model you built for yourself.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Great input, and thanks for the nudge. I think I would have to agree with your opinion.

I really don't hate building; it all comes down to the usual complaints: space, time, skill, tools, lack of mentors, and the desire to have a ''perfect'' plane.

Sadly I admit to suffering from airplane vanity, and love staring at a hanger full of pristine models but I'm so inexperienced I end up making mistakes when I try to build that make my planes look and fly slightly less than professional. I'm trying my hand at painting this winter and really don't enjoy that part without having the proper tools and area to work in, and covering, I can't even imagine the practice needed to become adept at that. Add to that the fact that I don't have any RC builder friends close by from whom I can take notes, I just feel overwhelmed when I look at a kit like the Delro or the VISA. Someday when I'm retired and can build a dedicated workshop, I think I might actually enjoy building, even perhaps building for others, but right now there are so many planes I want to try, and so little time in which to build and paint I feel a need to rely on others for help.

Thanks again for the nudge, though. I'm slowly improving my skills and tool set year by year so who knows . . . maybe next winter I'll get the courage to try building a 2M myself.

JP
Well, maybe a reasonable place to start is assembling an ARF. I think there are still Focuses available. It's a decent flier too.

As far as building one from any of the available kits, just take the plunge. That's what we all did at one time or another. And we have all made mistakes along the way but that's called experience now.

MattK