RCU Forums - View Single Post - strip planking
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: strip planking

Planking is a slow process but yields a very lightweight and strong structure. I have planked a few RC airplanes and my current one is a Yokosuka D4Y4. I have built ship models with plank on bulkhead construction and the planking is a prominent feature to say the least so accuracy is paramount. 1st- don't use CA glue- get Duco or similar. These types of glue are easily sanded. A good method is to measure the circumference at mutiple stations. Divide the largest circumference by, say 1/4"- for 1/4" wide planks. This will give you a rough estimate of the number of planks needed. At each station you will divide this number into the circumference and it will let you know the width of plank at that location. Transfer these measurements to the planks and rough cut it. Sand it to smooth the curves both sides and glue in place. Keep doing this and don't force the plank sideways. If the taper becomes too thin then cut it off at a former location but be sure a small shelf of the former shows so a 'stealer' plank can be glued to it. This is a trial fit and sand to fit process but the end result will truly amaze. Use thick enough planks that initial sanding will be no problem with flex. It's all an experience thing. If some areas are too thin just glue wood on opposite side. When satisfied join the 2 halves (after adding any 'guts'- electronics, pushrods, etc.) and final sand. Ship modeling forums will have tons of info about this process. Good luck, ARUP