RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shrike flight report
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Shrike flight report

Leo:
A couple of questions for you as I am finishing up a GST Shrike and am going electric with it.

Did you actually meter your motors and confirmed 800 watts per side for a total of 1600 watts? The reason I ask is because at 28lbs, 1600 watts would calculate to 57.14 watts per pounds. Yikes, not much. ( I guessed at your total weight but should be close)

I have always used this formula:
50 - 70 watts per pound - minimum requirements usually good for park flyers and light wing loaded planes
70 - 90 watts per pound - basic sport flying
90 - 100 watts per pound - scale models and light aerobatics
110 - 130 watts per pound - advanced aerobatics

Rich Ultravich is flying a 51lb Bronco on 129.4 watts per pound and is quite happy with it so I was basing my system on his and
shooting for the 110 to 130 watts range. But after reading your information, maybe I should scale it down for weight savings as I don't need to hover it.

Question #2
I have 6 degrees of washout in my wing. I am about ready to install the stabilizer on the fuselage. My last Shrike flew with up trim and ,like yours, scraped the tail on take off. So, I was thinking about putting 1 degree of negative incidence in the stab. Then here you come with .75 degree positive? What would be your recommendation here?

Paul