RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skybolt hangar and clubhouse
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Zor, you might want to reconsider that. Adding weights to the ABS cowl could cause the cowl to crack due to excessive vibrations. It might not happen right away, but it will happen eventually.
Minnflyer,

You may be absolutely correct. I think these cowls are made of ABS and quite flimsy.
I considered putting weights fastened to the engine mount and I may spend more time to accomplish that with some design of an aluminum mounting structure.

One of the problems was to be able to put the cowl on and remove it without interference.
I just tried to put the weights as far forward as possible. I do not know where others have installed their weights but have seen many mentioning that the kit ends up tail heavy.

Considering distances (moment arms) I think I would need another 4 ounces to mount them on the firewall and have to install more blind nuts to bolt them on. I do have access to the rear face of he firewall due to mods I made.

I sure appreciate your comment and thank you for it.
That potential cracking of the cowl is something I certainly will be watching for.
Upon running I have very little vibration. The prop is very well balanced by myself.
I laugh at manufacturers that say their props are balanced at the factory and arrive full of moulding burrs in their sealed packaging.

Best regards Minn,

Zor