RCU Forums - View Single Post - It's the future.........
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Straick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's the future.........

The only problem I see with them is in a racing environment. Hydrogen is HIGHLY flammable when mixed with oxygen. Now, if your car wrecks and a line for the fuel cell gets damaged, it can go up in smoke. Add to that the fact that the hydrogen is compressed, so if a cell ruptures while it is burning, you basically have a bomb. They need to makes sure that the lines for the system can't be punctured in the event of a crash, simply because all it takes are two wire touching that shouldn't in order to create a spark. Another problem is the amount of heat that hydrogen fuel cells give off. They tried making them for use in cell phones, but it ended up not being feasible due to the simple fact that people would get burned while using the phone.
I personally prefer prefer nitro anyways. Just love the sound of the engine and the tuning needed to keep it running at peak. Don't get me wrong, I do also run electric. It has a place, like when I want to run something and the noise will be an issue, or if it's just too wet out.
Me, I don't believe that they will do away with gasoline in our lifetimes. They tried with E85, but it ends up costing more to drive the same distance because you burn more E85 to keep the engine from being run lean. Even my S-10 gets better mileage out of real gasoline(as in no ethanol) than it does on what is now normal gasoline(with up to 10% ethanol), and it runs better as well, as in more bang for the buck.
It is interesting technology, and I can see a household use for emergency power in place of a generator. When the power is on, it generates hydrogen until the storage cells are full, and then when the power goes out, it automatically comes online to keep the power steady. The hardware needed to use them like that is already out there in the form of automatic transfer switches and inverters because hydrogen fuel cell produce DC current, and your house uses AC current. Look at people who get all their power from solar cells and wind turbines. They use a battery storage bank for when the sun isn't out and the wind isn't blowing.
Still, it is an interesting approach to advancing fuel cell technology. Use a hobby to advance the technology further while getting it out there so that, once it's perfected, it will be easier to implement in the rest of life.