RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Alan W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Here are a few tips on APP's - as I've said, I have been using them for well over 10 years and have probably used hundreds of them (I am into muscle cars too and have used them ALOT in re-wiring / add-on stuff in the cars like electric fuel pumps, custom radio installs, brake controller for my tow rig ... as well as using them for my home theater 7.1 speaker system). Once you start using them you will be hooked at the ease of making connections on alot of other projects.

1) use the correct size connector for the wire - there are 15a / 30a / 45a metal connectors that all fit into the same size housing. For the stuff you guys are using, I'd recommend the 45a.

2) the housings are keyed so you can attach them together. USE THIS FEATURE to "polarize" your connections so you never will connect (+) to (-)

3) make sure it "snaps" in - after the crimp, there are two slight tangs left on the metal piece. When sliding the metal into the housing, the tangs are oriented towards the corners of the plastic housing. Use a (very) small jewelers flat-head screw driver to press on the tang and seat the connector into the housing

4) West Mountain Radio has been supplying the R/C community for years with goodies and not only are they an excellent source for the power poles themselves, but they have a crimper that is every bit as good as the Anderson one but much less expensive.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/PWRcrimp.htm

While at West mountains site, Check out their rigrunner's - a good distrbution-block system for your 12v source to chargers with a bit of insurance built in.

Here is a very good primer article about APPs published by FlyRC

http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html

Again, I just want to state, that I have NOT used APPs in > 60a continuous use so how well they hold up under those circumstances is unknown to me. I have used them in pylon racers pulling 45-55a continuous with no ill effects

Again, hope this helps and I too look foward to your findings on higher volt/amp use of them as I plan on it as well this coming season