RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
BACKEMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

I had to do this with my Hyperion EOS 1210i chargers, works fine now, it would shut down when I plugged it into the charger.

Unexpected Shutdown I've made the recommended changes, but when I connect my charger, the PS still shuts down. Now what?? The usage of a PC powersupply as a substitute for a field charger power source falls far outside the intent of the original design specifications. Once the PS is running and stable, the overload circuitry is tuned to detect high current sinks and shut the PS down under normal usage, these sinks would be indicative of an internal short in the PC. When a microcomputer is running, powersupply demands change, but these are minimal and are usually associated with optical, hard or floppy drive usage or USB devices being attached. Some field chargers produce a high current sink when first attached and generate a latch into the overload state as designed. The specifications state that the PS will remain latched until the load is removed from the rail the PS will either automatically reset or may require at least one PS_ON cycle. Even though your PS may have sufficient wattage to effectively drive the charger, the load change is the problem. One method that has been effective is to attach the charger before powering up to the PS, the charger now appears as a high draw motherboard and not as a potential short occurring after the PS is stable

Thanks for the links to trouble shoot it.

Just using 1 10 ohm, 10watt R.