RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Another question regarding getting my .72 to idle reliably on a 3D profile. Is tank placement a possible issue? The reason why I ask this is:

1. I put the airplane up on a wing tip so I could adjust the idle mixture screw with the engine running. Therefore, the engine is now in the "upright" position and the tank is about an inch and a half below the carb centerline.

2. Low and behold, the idle settles down in this upright position, a steady 2,500, excellent transition, no problems. Idle screw is even with the plasitc throttle arm.

3. I proceed to put the plane back on its landing gear, and within seconds the idling engine sputters and stops.

4. The tank center is right on the centerline of the carb. Could it be loading up the carb in this side mounted position?

5. Would anyone care to guess if lowering the tank below the centerline of the carb might help?

I have been playing with four strokes for 30 years now, and if I can't get this motor to idle reliably soon, I'm sending it back to Horizon to let them look at it. I have never had a problem with a Saito until this .72.

Thoughts???? Ideas? And yes, all the obvious troubleshooting has taken place: new tank, new plug, fresh fuel line, balanced prop, properly set valves, fresh fuel, and so on.