RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kits?
Thread: Kits?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kits?

ORIGINAL: stumpffy

what if the plane has a fiberglass cowl or a molded canopy? And how do we preserve these parts in the kits that we buy?
Howdy! To make the canopy that is not a flap wrap job requires a vacume form machine. Plans available from multiple sources. Tom Martin RC has a very nice plan and I will build a bigger version since the one I currently use is 'smallish' and mine doesn't have a heating element (I have to use oven). It's better to have an all-in-one set up.

If you have a canopy then fill it up with the rock hard plaster of paris. Support the canopy (not cut free from its carrier flange) when you do this. When dry, pop out the plaster 'canopy' and you have your 'plug'. You may need to build up the base to level it before 'pulling' canopies from it. The canopy is only as smooth as your plug so finish it as you like.

If you don't have a canopy then carve one from blue foam using the template method. You can either add framework (if needed) to your plug or you can pull another canopy on top of the first to be used as the framework. That's it in a nutshell- good luck! ARUP