RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe
Old 02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Ultra Stick 40 with a G-90/Header/Pipe

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

I'll second the comment about reinforcing the wing dowls and former that holds them in. My friend had a Ultrastick 40 that he put a YS45 on the front of and it ripped the wing dowls out of the fuse on the first flight. I cannot imagine that plane with a G90 in it.....[X(]

David
Yea, I've taken the hint on that message. I put a piece of 1/8" light ply (it was already doubled as well) behind the dowel firewall and then redilled the holes to match. I then put 1/4" triagle stock throughout the tank area, firewall and the 2nd firewall. I'm sure I added some weight but I don't think the G-90 on a pipe will notice it.

I test fit the pipe with the engine and gear on and it looks like the Macs 2900 header will work - but just. So this weekend I'm going to cut some on the header and see how much I can squeeze out of this G-90.

Landing Gear. This is my problem area to solve now. I think it is just too short (even with 3" wheels) but I can't seem to find a carbon or dural landing gear that will work on this plane that will give me more height. The DuBo Super strength fiberglass-nylon gear mentioned earlier is the exact same height as the stock gear (I measured it) but it is a bit wider and unfortunately - heavier. I'd really like to go with a 1 piece carbon fiber gear if anyone knows where I can get one. I've checked Graphtech and Troybuilt but so far no luck. TNT can make me an aluminum one any way I want but man they are expensive. I might try my hand at making one (wouldn't be the first time).

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone - keep'em coming!