RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great planes ultimate 160
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Robert Strouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

I used the 4-40 carbon/titanium rods for the tail group from central hobbies. For ball links I used Rocket City 4-40s. For clevises and I used dubro 4-40 safety locks with the brass pin and nylon body. I try to stay away from the steel connecters since vibration eventually loosens them up on their threads. On the ailerons I used the same clevises for the surface end and soldered a dubro steel clevis to the servo end. The distance is so short on the ailerons that there really is no need for carbon fiber. If you manage to bend an aileron rod my guess is that aileron is no longer connected to the wing. Probably due to a sudden stop and a one point landing.

As for the tail wires, use them they absolutely rock and the assembly for tightening them up gets the tension perfect on the first try. Be careful though its pretty easy to overtighten the set screw if you have a good set of allen wrenches. The brass will stretch and weaken the stud. I had to order a replacement set.

I rehinged the entilre plane using dubro 1/4 scale hinges. I just like how smooth the surface is after doing this and there isn't enough surface material in my opinion to support robart pin hinges. Some have done it but I won't do it unless the surface is built up and the shaft is supported by at least 3/8". As for CA hinges, I just can't bring myself to put whatever the brand on a bird where the control throws are going to be so dramatic. Not to mention the vibration.

I know some folks on this forum just used the stock hardware have had great success but I tend to throw all that stuff in a drawer and go get the stuff I like. With this bird I tossed everything except the wheels and regretted it later. The wheels should have gone too! Just let it sit on its legs for too long and you will find that the wheels will go square. I thought that they were hard enough at first but they are just like most ARF tires. A waste of space in the package that eventually makes your plane penguin waddle out to the EOR.

Robert