RCU Forums - View Single Post - ReCat Delivered Yesterday.... In Repair Today- Not Happy
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
robriley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ReCat Delivered Yesterday.... In Repair Today- Not Happy

I'll tell you what,
I had a volcano s-30 (i know, a different truck all together) with the vx18 in it.
I broke it in the correct way, took very good care of it, and all that. It would only go about 20 mph tops, but it had a lot of torque. I put a direct drive transmission in it, which improved the top speed, but killed the bottom end torque. top speed increased to maybe 25 mph with the direct drive in it. The thing is, when they claim it can run 65 mph, they should state if it is scale mph, or in km....not just say "65".
I have an OLD tamiya blackfoot from the 80's that is 100% stock and original with the exception of a superstock motor and an esc. the blackfoot would run circles around my volcano. I also have an electric duratrax evader, all stock with the exception of a pinion gear change, superstock motor and bigger tires. it too would run circles around my volcano.
I picked up a Megatech top fuel dragster with a .16 megatech motor in it an a 2 speed transmission. They claim 60 mph out of this dragster. I took it to a track, ran it on a scale 1/4 mile (132 feet) and it ran an honest 58.7 mph.
let me tell you. 58 mph with an r/c is VERY fast!
when a company claims that their cars/ trucks can run 65 mph, that # is imprinted in the buyers head. They run the car /truck and think, "man, this thing is fast!" but in reality, the 65 mph # is in their head from the advertizing, and the car / truck may actually only be running 30 mph. but, with a 1:10 scale car / truck, sometimes they look like they are going faster than they really are.
ran my evader and the blackfoot at the dragstrip and it topped out at 32.5 mph, my blackfoot hit 26 mph. so, my volcano was lucky to be going 20 mph on a good day.
yes, i know how to tune nitro motors, i just think that a lot of the time, peopel are mislead by the marketing dept. , and 9 times out of 10 it works.