Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

ORIGINAL: Jaybird
>
>
I'm thinking of jumping over to the wing construction rather than plowing into the fuselage after I finish building and sheeting the stab and elevators. Any reasons not to do that at this point? I know Zor and others have suggested some modifications later on in the build and I'm wondering if any affect the wings that might be helpful to know ahead of time.

Jaybird

Jaybird,

I did not follow the manual sequence for what I considered good reasons.

I thought the inbetween I struts would be useful when gluing the ribs 7 (3 layers) together.
So I made those before doing the wings.

I see no objections to make the wings before the fuselage. It would be useful to have the wings when assembling the cabane. The cabane is where I had some problems because the wires were not bent properly. I have seen that others also had the same problem as I had.
It end up that the 3 layer wood at the bottom of the cabane does not lay flat on the cockpit floor as expected from the drawings. If we try to lay it flat on the cockpit floor than the upper wing incidence is wrong unless the minus 1 degree itself is wrong.

I made it to get the minus 1 deg incidence. Tapered wedges have to be installed between the lower cabane assembly and the cockpit floor. Others did the same thing as solution to the problem.

The two little brass tubings at the center of the top wing should be chamfered (rounded at the end) inside where the cabane wires go in before cementing them in place. It is impossible to do properly after they are in place. Along the same thought the ends of the cabane wire should be tapered a bit. It is very difficult to install the wing without this tapering being done.

Pay attention to the details of this structure at the center of the top wing. You want the cabane wires and the small brass tubing to line up perfectly when pushing the wing down before pushing the wing backward.

Of course you would want the wings flat without twist or warp. Also it is easy to glue the trailing edges such that they do not follow the airfoil shape. Avoid this. The preshaped traling edge pieces do not necessarily have the proper angle. Check and double check before gluing them in place.

I suppose I did not have to write all the above but it was written in good spirit (intending to be helpful).

As a last comment _ _ _ It is a good idea to have the wings and the I struts (between the wings) available to check all the assembly before gluing the base of the cabane in the fuselage.

There are pictures of the cabane problem posted by others in the forum and I have pictures as well (somewhere L O L ).

A little challenge is always interesting.

Zor

P.S.: added by editing.
Some mods I made _ _ _ _
- Hatch under front fuselage to access fuel tank and battery witout removing the wings.
- Bolted on tail feathers. Completely removable.
- Opening cockpit canopy like some full size so the pilot can go out and back in LOL.
- Installation of a fueling valve with cover to avoid dirt on the o'ring and leakage.
- Functioning flying wires on tail and wings. No need to remove when disassembling the wings or tail.
- Mechanical adjustable exponential throttle control.
- Installed a remote glow plug connector on the fuselage side due to the inverted engine.
- Not yet done . . . will raise the prop clearacne by extending the landing gear. Prop on hand is 14 x 7 three blades on a Saito 125.
-

Perhaps I am forgetting something.

Zor
Edited to correct spelling ... canace became cabane.