RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
tim777jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Hi Gio, another different and great idea for the canopy latch. Ref the servo in the tailplane, I found a standard size servo just fits inside the tailplane without having to increase the depth or profle of the tailplane at all. I see you are using a plate on the bottom, not sure how much that will disturb the airflow over the elevator. I did find that the Newer Falcon requires a little more down elevator travel than the older model did, to get the same responsivness, despite the CG being in the same place,strange.

Ref Flaps, I do not use anywhere near the travel of the flaps shown in the above pictures and I find they slow my model down really well. I think you will find them really effective. Cant see in your picture, the position of the servo arm, when the flaps are fully deployed, but best to make sure the servo arm is nearly in line with the control rod that operates the flaps when fully down, this will take the load off the servo and reduce battery drain.

Ref the engie mount, yes the engine mount is not the best design in the world, but it is pretty strong and will take the punishment for many many flights, before showing signs of fatigue, typically around 60 or so flights, depending on how many hard landings you do, in fact I havnt been home too much for around 12 months and still havnt beefed mine up yet, with around 60 flights on her, still no sign of fatigue yet, maybe 61st flight though, best get the glue out.

Another item i would like to add to the model, just for fun, is an airbrake on the top of fuse, like the fighter jets, I think it would interfere with airflow over the tailplane and might not be the best idea, but worth a try, would look pretty cool, I think a nice high altitude test in landing config would be neccessary though. I thought of a small door pneumatic ram, operated when flaps selected to full down to lift up a simple door hinged at the front. When you think about it we have as many, or even more operating hardwear on this simple model, than some more exotic models like the F15, incredible really. Thats what i like about the model, it is very versatile and simple, but can be operated wih a really high spec and many design changes. The guy who converted his to a float plane and the guys who have removed the booms and tailplane and electrified the models have done some excellent work. I always look forward to checking this forum to see what is comming up next, full marks to everyone who posts.

Cheers Tim