RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 AM
hotrod34a
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

Hey Everyone,

Great post here. I made the decision to use APP connectors a year ago after a lot of of reading here on the forums as well as many other sources when I made to jump to electric from glow fuel. I have had zero problems with them at all. They are fantastic for just about anything you want to use them for. The best thing for me is an arming switch and there is a fuse mounting housing that only costs a few dollars that makes a very clean fuse installation using the APP's. I replace my batteries and go ahead and plug them up and close up the fuse. When I am ready to fly, all I have to do is install the APP arming plug into the fuse mounted housing. Could not be a better setup as far as I am concerned and I am using that setup on three different planes. Also, it is much safer in my opinion vs arming the system and then installing your canopy, etc. I do however, use the deans connectors for all of my connections inside of the plane with the exception of the ESC to the motor where I use the bullet connectors. As previously mentioned, the connection there needs to be near perfect to maintain a constant timing between the ESC and the motor. A lot of the guys I spoke to that are flying the larger 2M planes in competition actually solder this connection instead of using any type of connector, just for this reason. The reason I made the choice of using the deans for the battery to the ESC was purely what was recommended to me at the time, so I went that way. If I were to start over again, I would use APP's for those connections also. The deans really do not pose a problem for me, I am using 10 gauge wire on all of my systems and with a good solder joint there is no problem pulling them apart as you can pull on the wire. That will cause no problems unless you made a bad solder joint, and if you did it is best that you pull it apart on the ground vs it disconnecting in flight. You guys really need to try the arming switch in the side of the fuse, it makes it so easy vs having to arm the plane and then install your canopy, etc. Also, as Alan mentioned, West Mountain Radio has a fabulous Rigrunner 12v fused power distribution block for your charger setup or any other power needs, and it uses APP's. Expensive, but well worth it if you have an elaborate charging setup like I have.

One other thing before I close this book with, APP's are used almost exclusively by Ham Radio Operators, and if you want to talk about 12v power requirements and amp draws using these connectors, read a few of their threads online. After you do, you will be sold that these connectors can handle anything we can throw at them. Again, great forum....... my $10 worth.....lol

Larry....