RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Wind_of_Change

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Hey guys, I lost another plane today to my 2.4ghz XPS system. That makes 5 planes lost to receiver lockout. I can only give a receiver so much power before I start to think there's maybe something else wrong with my XPS system than low voltage issues on the receiver, which is what they tell me I'm doing wrong each time I email them and complain.

A guy at the club today said "wow, that makes 5 planes you've lost to that 2.4 ghz system. You're gonna stop at 5, right?"

I guess it does seem foolish to keep hoping I won't lose more planes, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and try a new radio. But which one? So many options! I've been using a Multiplex Royal Evo 12 with XPS 2.4ghz module, and I love my Evo so much I just don't want to use anything else. But here I sit with a radio that I love and no planes to fly with it. I don't dare fly any more, and I'm constantly living in fear every time I do.

So I have a couple questions about this Aurora radio. I love that it has many of the features my Evo has, so I'm warming up to it right out of the gate. But when comparing it to Spektrum, which all my friends are flying with, one notable thing seems lacking in the Hitec offering. Satellite receivers. My friend showed me his new Corsair setup, and the receiver had two power inputs, which are separate from channels, (meaning the power line-in does not sit in a standard servo slot), and he could have up to 4 satellite receivers off of it. Wow. He put 3 of them in his plane and had them spaced throughout the fuselage at different angles.

If that doesn't give you confidence, what would? But why does the system NEED all those satellite receivers? Even XPS has started selling satellite receivers, which I've been tempted to try, but seriously - $80 for a freaking satellite receiver? Cmon! That puts me at $200 for a single receiver setup. Same with the Spektrum my friend has, the receiver with 3 satellites was $200.

Now I'm all for spending that kind of money to protect a nice plane like the one I lost today. But at some point I just start to feel like I'm being financially raped, over and over and over and over.

Back to my question. Is Hitec going to be offering satellite receivers as well? Are they necessary, and why do other vendors rely on them?

Also, is there any place that has the Aurora in stock? I can't find anything. There's a fly-in this week and I'd love to have a new radio rushed to me before I leave on Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

Wind