RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC8T Diff Problem HELP
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
malice23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC8T Diff Problem HELP

It s not only weird its insane. My fingers are chaffed from screwing and unscrewing. I looked at the manual and there was an O-ring that slides on to the outdrive before it hits the bearing. On the outside of the diff case not the o-ring that seals the inside. When I originally removed the diff there was no o-ring attached to the outdrive except for the one thats on the groove of the outdrive, that really small one. So I even experimented with adding an 0-ring but still no luck. I can tell you this though...that part of the diff that gets screwed into the diff housing does look like it may be at fault because it looks to me as if the outdrive shaft, after its slid into place, sticks out too far. When the bevel gear is placed over the pin above the shims the shaft in the middle looks like it protrudes a bit far as compared to the other bevel gear below in the diff housing. But like I said I experimented with shims non-stop last night and I cant find a solution. The only thing Im going to do tonight is remove the rear diff and see if its the same situation with that diff as well. And the problem is not when the diff is installed on to the truck. Its the diff itself when its assembled. Typically when youre done you screw it all together and then twist each outdrive to see if the play is correct and make sure its not bound up. But in this case, no matter what, it binds up when fully assembled.

Could it bee too much oil or that a new gasket is needed? I filled the diff with oil as the manual said, to the top of the gears. My Xray diffs have different directions though. In those directions, it says to fill the diff half way and it seems to work just fine, I tried that also with no luck.