RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ace Extra 230 33% Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
SticknRudder
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ace Extra 230 33% Fiberglass

rtn9105 - welcome aboard.
My kit went through many hands before Igot it, and Iditched some material - mostly sheeting - although Ihave to say that I'm probably using 75% of the original parts since most of it is still in good shape - some parts are missing. 1/4" firewall and main gear supports are new. The opening in F-1 should be 4 1/2"square, as is the firewall - top and bottom plates are 4 1/2" wide, side gusset plates are 4 1/4" so they go on the inside. Centerline (on mine)is 3 13/16"down from the top of F-1. Question:does your print show 1/8"sheeting on the top of F-1? - problem here is the entire hatch is removable so the cowl has to stop at F-1 by design (this is actually one of those drawing errors Imentioned previously). Iunderstand on the Ace kits, the forward 1 1/2"or so of the hatch is separated and attached to F-1 - so the sheeting is at least 1 5/8" wide across the top . This is how I'm building mine.

Back to the centerline - F-2 through 7 are 1 7/16" down from the top. Iused new 1/8" x 5 ply for all formers - no lite ply at all. Iwas a little more generous on the lightening holes than the drawing though. Haven't made a lot of progress since we got slapped with a little more snow here than usual - spending more time in the driveway than in the shop.
My advice - spend a couple more bucks and cut new formers - they all fit on 12" x 24". Alittle more info than necessary on this post (sorry, Iget carried away).

Thanks