RCU Forums - View Single Post - MK Wild Beat
Thread: MK Wild Beat
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MK Wild Beat

Being particularity interested in engines I tried to do a little studying on this OS 140 RX-FI...Although I've actually read about this in the past it's been a while so I forgot allot of the details...A couple of interesting things I read:

The EFI engines were Very Expensive!! 1100+ dollars to purchase the OS 140 RX-FI engine!!

When they worked correctly the FI engines excelled in linear throttle response and had allot of power...When they broke they were incredibly expensive to get fixed...The electronic parts of the fuel injection system were apparently the biggest part of the problem...They engine itself is great and it even came with better bearings than the normal 140 RX does...The bearings in the normal 140 RX pumped engines should be upgraded to the FI bearings before you even run it for the first time...The stock bearings in the pumped engines aren't any good so a swap to a good quality stainless bearing is highly recommended...

The EFI engine comes with the blue head as seen in David's photo and the normal pumped engine's head is black...

Apparently allot of guys did the mods like Davids engine when the EFI electronics crapped out...Since there is a fuel injector on the FI engine rather than a conventional carb you had to change to a different carb such as the Perry as in Dave's case...Plus then of course you'll need to add a pump...When those mods are done it's once again a fantastic engine...

I suppose you could buy yourself a spankin' new OS PD-06 pump and an OS 70A carb but you would be talking allot of money!! The Perry carb and pump makes allot more sense money wise and supposedly runs very well...

I'm sure they were very hot when the first came out but eventually it became apparent the EFI engines were troublesome...Some guys were saying you can buy two normal 140 RX engines for the cost of one EFI engine...Then once you changed the bearings out to stainless you would have almost as powerful engine which is totally reliable...I suppose that sort of logic is why the Fuel Injected engine was apparently pretty short lived...Just too costly to own and operate for the masses...

Sounds like Dave has a fantastic engine and just needs to get a Perry VP-30(?) pump...

OK sorry for rambling!!

Neat Stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing this plane come to life!!

Chuck

P.S. Dave...Can you save all the scrap wood that you knocked out the formers and stuff from...I know my list of things to do is waayyy long but I can see me wanting to do one of these in the future...Plus it would be a good reason for get me one of those fancy engines like you got...