RCU Forums - View Single Post - The RCFW Hellcat Group Build
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Jimmy m,

Thanks for checking in and for the FoF pictures. That museum is definitely on my "to do" list but, being in Arizona, I'm a loooong ways away! Kermit has had the F6F for a lot of years now and hopefully it will be getting the full treatment in the near future.

Although it's not going as fast as I had hoped the flaps are coming along steadily. It was my intention to build just enough of the wing to add the flaps but it became apparent that the best way was to get the wing to the finished stage and then go back and add the flaps. Below you can see that I have the outer flap built and hinged, ready for the 1/32 plywood top skin that will form the gap seal. The inboard flap is complete. That little missing section of flap between the two is built as part of the center section but will be attached to the outer flap when it's all done. (per the full scale) It's looks strange at first to have a bend in the outer flap so that it wraps around the dihedral break but it actually should make it easier to tie the two flaps together. I need to get a couple of things done on the center section so that I can joing it to the outer panel. In order to get a good fit between all the angles and mating surfaces I won't finish the outboard flap until after the wing is joined. More to come soon!