RCU Forums - View Single Post - Receiver Whip Antennas
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Receiver Whip Antennas

Originally posted by Kris^
Now that these antennas have been out for a while, I'm considering trying one. It seems that laying our receiver antennas horizontal on the bottom of the plane is not the best way to do it, and can cause problems close to the ground or at certain attitudes, such as straight away or toward the transmitter. I personally never thought I would switch from a 1/4 wave "stock" antenna to a whip, but after a few glitches with the aircraft heading out or away from me (which are VERY nerve wracking) I've decided to explore a vertically mounted whip-style antenna.

Any advice or comments from INFORMED sources would be appreciated. Data concerning receptivity, setup, and range would also be VERY welcome.

TIA
Well Kris,
I might not know much about oil, but I do have experience with these, and I found that the best is not a base loaded whip, but rather simply a whip antena. With this you don't lose any range since you are still using the full length antena, simply split between the wire inside the airplane and the piano wire (whip) outside. Like they do over in Europe.
whip