RCU Forums - View Single Post - curare restoration
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: curare restoration

ORIGINAL: chrisseawright

another question I have is in alot of the build treads I read they make use of 1/2 to 3/4 glass and polycrilic on the wings. My wing is a foam core with wood sheeting. I have used this method several times before but on foam models like edfs. The wing now as im sanding it doesnt have this done the only glass is were the wing halfes are joined together is this something that needs to be done or just builder preference and also pros and cons. In the foam planes I did it for more strength I assume this would be the same reason here but is it worth the added weight.
Okay Chris,

In general patternship wings and stabs of the Curare era that were painted would be glassed for a better finish and some strength by most builders. Strength will come from internal layout not from the glassed surface.
Since the builder didn’t glass the wing he was probably after weight savings.

Most pilots regarded their patternships as tools to get the job done. I have always have been of that mind set. I have built wings that I didn’t use any cloth on the surface, just sealed and painted. This would give a lighter wing but was more susceptible to hangar rash.

As far as your restoration goes, take a look at the AUW of the plane and the wing itself. Just assume that if you glass it the weight will go up. If your numbers are good and you can take the weight penalty then glass it.

We are not competing with these planes today, so weight would not be of great issue unless you have a plane that is greatly overweight and difficult to fly and land.

Good luck with the restoration. Be careful with sanding the paint off the bare wood.