View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first pattern plane build

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: kochj

When you make the pieces out of fiberglass, you are using the Inside of the mold and not the out side right??

Or are you just draping the fiberglass pieces over the Green/cleared plugs and having the outside of the plug not have the
Weave filled by the plug, so you have to do that yourself.

If you use the inside of a mold the outside is nice, shiny, precious.... LOL...

Could you just fill me in....
Thanks
Kochj,

You will find a nice tutorial on CST The Composite store web site on producing female molds (clam shell molds too). There are many other sources for sure but I found this one especially helpful at least 15 years ago when I started playing with molds. Their technique of laying up the first layer of the mold with carbon black has been particularly helpful...it becomes the mold surface agianst which the glass part is laid down. With a clear glass part it's easy to see unwetted areas in the glass. It doesn't help for carbon cloth lay ups but for glass lay ups it's very helpful.

BTW the better wax I've used and highly recommend is Partz All. There are several others but this one works easily and with fewer coats and is high temp rated

MattK
The tutorial from CST was also my starting point. One of the things that I have been told about the carbon additive, and my experience backs it up, is that it helps lower the friction coefficient of the surface. This helps a little in pulling the parts from the mold. I was also told that Turtle Wax and Kit Wax are adequate mold release waxes. One ruined mold later, it was back to Partall. I used the Kit Wax on my car.