RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011

Ducks bad too Scott!
This happened maybe around 1996-98 at an IMPBA sanctioned race and I have it on video tape somewhere. I won't mention the host club as they are now defunct anyway.
This club held a racein a pond at a public park which happneded to be connected to a major river by a channel. The CD was very observant of every twig floating in the pond but a flock of ducks came swimming in from the river. We could see them coming in several heats before. The CD actually would shut down a heat if he saw any flotsam on the water yet did nothing while the flock crossed the pond. On the clock was the gas hydro class. One racer went out of his way going extremely wide on the course and drove his 'rigger right through the flock. That finally stopped the heat. One duck was injured badly and was brought ashore, placed in a box and stashed under a truck bed in a weak attempt to cover up the incident. The club's stupid move unfortunately was done in front of a daughter of a former DNR offical who later called the local police dept., sheriff's dept. and the DNR The club got slapped with a $1,000.00 fine. Rumor had it that they lost that race site because of the incident and RC boats are no longer allowed to run within that city's limits.