View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rules for 2 stroke engine's break-in

ORIGINAL: armody

Thank you GrayBeard,

Follow the instructions, and do not deviate?
heres what to do
put a small prop on the engine, this will keep the load down (aka heat) which can be bad for the engine at first
also used a high pitched prop not a 3d one, this will maxmize the airflow over the engine and help keep it cool
i would use a apc 10x7 for breakin or maybe even a apc 9x8.5
then when you start the engine go to full throttle as soon as possible, keep the engine in a rich two stroke (about half a turn from peak, maybe more) but do not let it 4 stroke EVER,
from their you could fly the engine as long as you keep some throttle on it (usually above half), dont let it idle around all day.
this helps keep the engine hot enough for the liner to expand, minimizing wear, dont worry about landings, you can go to idle due to the fact the engine has been heating up the entire flight, it wont damage with a 30 seconds of idleing.

what i usually do is keep my idle rich, and my high speed just lean enough so the engine can clear the rich idle. then i fly the engine around 3/4 throttle, every few min i drop it back to 1/3 throttle to let the engine cool off a bit (due to the rich idle) then its back up at 3/4

i can go into all the details if you want but im keeping it simple for now.