RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

TWO E-MAILS:

I received two e-mails from Helen Brett over the past week or so talking about updates to previous posts, and the announcement of a new pattern contest at the RCCD, (Radio Control Club of Detroit). With permission, here is what Helen is reporting to us:

FROM MARCH 7,2010
Just to get in touch and let you know, and to thank Ray, that I received a very welcome response from Stuart Foster. He sent back the last tape and 8mm films that Tom sent in 1962 when he was preparing for the World Champs in England, plus he sent a DVD-4 of the films, which my grandson Patrick says is not compatable with our DVD system. Probably the current problem electric current problem. I hope to resolve this situation. He returned the reel to reel tape recording, plus a copy of it. He thought the quality was poor, maybe due to being on a metal reel for 49 years. An additional surprise is a copy of the English Model Aircraft magazine from Octobet, 1962 featuring the W/C in Kenley with scads of photos and text.
Stuart was a collector of vintage aircraft and vintage radio gear. He sent photos of his HUGE collection of gear, which he has since sold, plus photos of his planes including SmogHog, Astro Hog, Uproar, Gee String, Root-Tang, SNR Falcon, Kwik FlyII, and Crusader, which have also been sold. He recently built new Astro Hog, Gee String and Taurus and half size Astro and Taurus for electric. He still flies a Nimbus II and two Taurus with Orbit Proportional gear. Thanks again to Ray for making this connection possible

FROM MARCH 11, 2010
Another surprise todaydear friend and club member dropped over today to take me to lunch and pick up some photos from me for a flyer. The RCCD is having a pattern contest this year and naming it the Tom Brett Memorial and needed a photo. He also brought a copy of Flying Models from February 2008 with an article by Dean Pappas with Perigee with the rudder cables and a copy of Flying Models February 2009 with an article by Dean Pappas and a photo of a Perigee owned by Nic Damuck built from a short-kit made by PastTime Hobbies. Also a copy of Radio Control Modeler from September 1965 the Hobbypoxy ad on the back. A bonus inside was two photos of Tom and TBX at the '65 Nats at Willow Grove. Tom won the Hurst trophy there for best new design. All in all this has been a red letter day for the Brett house.

Thanks Helen...as always, we welcome any new material for this biographical thread of Tom Brett.

Duane Wilson