RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Brain 989
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
ahr43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Brain 989

This is kind of an old thread, but as long as I'm here in Academy/MRC, I'll add my comments.

I photocopied the manual. Then penciled in and high-lighted
989 Field Manual - ahr43. That way I can pencil in what works for me in the margins or on the back of the sheet. I do mostly simple charge / discharge of LiPo's at a 2amp charge rate and 4 amp discharge rate. I also use it for charging a nitro receiver pack.

Agree with Snake in that it doesn't provide much guidance on how to charge a 12V gel-cell. I used one for years in a nitro starter box as a pit power supply for the 989. Always re-charged it from another source, not the 989.

For me, the only realshortcoming of the 989 is the little green plug on the output side. The tiny set screws that secure the charging leads loosen up frequently and require constant attention. That detracts from it's usefullness as a field charger. It's o.k. for shop use.

I'd like a backlit field too. But, like so many other chargers, it doesn't feature one. I do night racing in San Antonio during the hot summer months.I pit what I call a "cold camp". Meaning I don't use 115vac or a generator. I rely on 12vdc. That gives me flexibility in choosing a pit site and lightens the load I pack. That also means I have less pit light than most, so backlighting would be a nice feature.

Overall, I rate the 989 acceptable. I still use it mostly because there are so many chargers out now that I don't know which one to buy, so stick with what works for me, the MRC 989 Super Brain.