RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flaps and slowing this thing down
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flaps and slowing this thing down

Unless you install actual flaps and add servos for them, you will have to use the ailerons as flaperons. Most computer radios have this mix function in their programming. That being said, I wouldn't do them, especially on a Super Sportster. For one reason it just doesn't need them. Secondly it could create some negative characteristics that you just don't want like a nasty stall tendency.

I've built and flown kit and ARF versions of this airplane in both the .40 and .60 size. All were fast and agile. The .60 was a little heavy so it did come in a little hotter than the .40 but neither was what I would consider too fast to land. In fact, the .40 slowed down very nice. I always land them on the mains and let it roll out a little before it drops down on the tail wheel.

What prop are you using? How is the idle speed on the engine? It might just take some practice on setting up the approach to get it slowed down. I had the same problem with my .40 size GP Revolver at first but I eventually figured out how to get the airspeed and landing technique right.