RCU Forums - View Single Post - A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts
Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A new sport plane using Stick 40+ parts

Many years ago I crashed a BUSA Stick 40+ and saved the wing and stab. They were covered in a pink fabric called Polytex, from Davis Diesel, which is no longer available. But the fabric showed up beautifully in the evening or on cloudy days, so I couldn't just trash the flying surfaces.

I was totally bored with the Stick when I crashed it. I built it in order to join in a club project, not because I needed a trainer. I actually still enjoy trainers, and this one flew fine, but it was really ugly.

So now I've cooked up a new fuse for the wing and stab. I've done some improvising like this before, but this is the closest I've come to designing an RC plane. "Designing" is probably too good a word for what I'm doing. It's a sketch on graph paper, but I'm working out the structure as I go along. For anyone who hasn't tried this yet, I have to tell you I'm having a ball. I keep creating problems for myself...every solution gives me a new problem. But none of them are that difficult, and it's really fun and absorbing to work it out.

The wing will be on the bottom instead of the top, so I made a hole in the top of the wing for the aileron servo lead, and covered up the hole in the bottom where the servo went in. The stab/elevator are the same as they were on the Stick 40+.

The wing is flat-bottomed; I'm not trying to build a pattern plane, just something for horsing around, and more than anything, to try my hand at coming up with my own plane. Here's what I've got so far:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96185.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1406827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97681.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1406828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30854.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.2 KB