RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

"Excess" power is determined by the watts/lb ratio.

In turn the wattage and current consumption is determined by the size of the prop you are spinning and it's pitch.

All the motor, ESC and battery have to do, is keep up with the demand.

150watts per lb or more is considered extreme 3d power.

Given 6.6lbs that works out to about 900-990 watts total.

I fly my plane with a 900 watt system and it goes straight up as long as I let it at 1/3-1/2 throttle.

I'm not consuming 900 watts at WOT either! It is around 780 or so instead.

I could increase the power consumption and get even more power by opting for a bigger diameter prop.

However I'm so please with how it flies now, that I'm using a 12" prop to keep my demands low, to get a LOT of flight time ( 15+ minutes without a worry! ).

The Monster power 32 is rated at a burst current of 55A x 14.8v = 820 watts or so.
So it is a very good motor to use, but certainly NOT the highest thrust you can go with....

The GR35 says "nominal power = 35A" and they suggest a 40A ESC so

40A x 14.8v = 592 watts

So the GR35 would not sustain the same draw as the Monster Power .32

I find that the Monster power motors will sustain higher burst current than what the advertising says...

If you want more power than the Monster .32, get the .46 instead ( which is the equivalent to what I have ).

The web site specs are not quite right, as the .46 handles 60A easily if properly ventilated, as it would be in this plane.

That puts the Monster .46 in the 900 watt range which I think is ideal.

Fly that with a 13x6e or 13x8e prop or larger and you'll have a very powerful combination.

Remember that it will be VERY important that your batteries keep up with the demand.

I run a single 5000mAh 14.8v 20C LiPo pack on my plane, and I've been quite happy with this.

My battery packs are only used to about 10-12C so they remain cool and will last much longer this way.

e.g. 20c = 100A on these packs.

Edit:

I noticed that my plane came out around 5lbs AUW, so yes the Monster .32 will do fine as you'll be well over the 150watts/lb mark with that motor.