RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extra 330L-EP Extreme 3D RC Acrobatic Plane ARF

There are two almost identical versions of that motor at HC/HK...

I have the 900 watt version.

The Monster Power .46 is pretty evenly matched with the 900w Turnigy in terms of power handling.

( Edit, maybe not... I blew out the Turnigy with a 13x8E prop... see later posts... )

The Turnigy has a slightly higher KV rating.

With the Monster Power you'd want to use a one point higher pitch prop to make the two equal.

NORMALLY ( but not always ) when you have two very similiar motors, but one has a lower KV rating, the lower KV rating motor often can handle more overall power draw, at the expense of RPM's.... a very loose analogy is to think of gears. The lower gear can pull more.

Increasing the pitch slightly offsets the RPM difference... so if you used the Turnigy with a 13x6e prop, it would be almost identical to the Monster Power .46 with a 13x7e prop.

Remember though that I'm not running my plane at a full 900 watts. Even 700watts or more turns this plane into a rocket.

I've propped my plane down to 12x7e ( less thrust a bit more pitch speed ) and I'm happy with it that way.

Given that I fly other planes ( such as my Diamante ) with the SAME prop, but with a Monster power .25 ( that's right a .25 ) w/o problems, the Monster Power .32 may be a sweet spot for this plane using that 12x7e prop.