RCU Forums - View Single Post - Deuces Wild crash and rebuild
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deuces Wild crash and rebuild

Will do.

I'm not sure which direction I'd go if I were starting from square one today. The H9 and TF B-25 ARF's both seem to have no bad quirks, and you can probably get either of them in the air with 30 to 40 hours of work. I'll probably have as much (or more?) $$$ invested in the Wing kit by the time I get done painting it, to say nothing of the building time.

One of the reasons I've been procrastinating on the build is figuring out which engines to use. I've got a pair of Magnum 70 4S's that I thought would power the Mitchell, but there's been a series of break-in/low power/dead stick problems with them, and I've gotten to the point where while both engines run OK, I just don't trust them enough to put 'em in a big twin. If money wasn't a consideration, I'd probably buya pair of Saito 80 4S's, but $600 puts a real crimp in the budget. If I go electric via the Hobbycity route, the cost comes down, but I'm not sure how I cool the motors/batteries without cutting some real ugly holes in the nacelles. (I already figured out the simple solution to that is to build it without operating gear doors, and just exhaust the hot air through the wheel wells. Not an artistic solution [&o]). The third alternative might be a pair of Magnum 52 2S's. Not too hard on the budget, and while they won't sound like radials, a pair of synch'd two-strokes has it's own appeal.

I just can't seem to get a grip on a B-25 flying by with a pair of whispering electrics! WWII warbirds are suppossed to rumble and growl, not sneak up on you!