RCU Forums - View Single Post - DerJet Cougar in the UK
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Colin Gontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DerJet Cougar in the UK

Feeling the love guys, thanks !I haven't been on here for a while but nice to see the Cougar in pictures, I've been working so hard on it I hadn't really stepped back to look at it properly.

Although there is a lot going on in this jet (16 functions including all surfaces !), everything went together very nicely. I have really enjoyed building the aeroplane, all the supplied linkages and hardware were great - a real step up in far eastern manufacture in my opinion. I made a personal choice to replace the main gear door rams and airbrake rams with UPunits but those supplied were perfectly adequate for the kit. Also used the stock valves supplied which were again an unknown quantity but they work superbly and are leak free. There are 3 separate air systems in the plane and each one is holding pressure for a number of days and allows numerous cycles so good news there too ! On the gear and doors I used a UP2 and UP4 valve on Dave's recommendation to eliminate the need for a separate sequencer. I just picked up a nice 4 inch stroke UPram from Dave to put on the canopy - that is the "spare" valve you see in the pics. Will most likely fit that after maiden.

On the turbine ancillaries I too was a little concerned about where they are but there is a 15 to 20mm air gap between the turbine case and the underneath of the board. I have pegged all the wiring to the bottom of the board so there is nothing hanging down. The turbine case does not get that hot anyway.

All in all a most pleasurable build - the most stressful part of it was not getting any marks on the absolutely beautiful finish!

Not sure if we will maiden this weekend - Im supposed to be on holiday 300 miles away and the weather is looking really bad but I have negotiated with my wife to disappear for the day if there is a break in the weatherDave W will be doing the maiden - just keep it nice and scale please, none of your sticks to the corners on the first circuit to check everything is glued in properly OK?