RCU Forums - View Single Post - fiberglassing??
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fiberglassing??

I know it sounds crazy but use a 4" foam roller cut down to 2" to apply the resin. I usually use zpoxy finishing resin because it is quite thin and has a working time of almost 25 minutes. The foam roller puts an incredibly thin amount of resin on and it is uniform. With my p47 I did 3 coats on my wing. It JUST filled the weave and I sanded for 2 mintes with 100 grit then for 10 minutes with 220 then another 10 minutes with 400, ready for paint. IF you use a squeege you will be sanding for hours trying to make it look uniform and possibly going right though the glass in places, i did in early attempts...

With this method DON'T thin the zpoxy. I know others have had good results but everytime I thinned the resin, it cured rubbery. Thinning works but the climate in your given area affects the curing plus the thinning agent has to be able to evaporate from the resin before it cures or it stays in forever...

Use the 3m spray on glue to hold the glass to the plane, especially on the fusalage. Helps a lot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32574.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1409293