RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Hots
Thread: The Hots
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 12:53 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: The Hots

My SuperHots with an ASP .91 two-stroke is a great match really... especially in its day... I think that combo was even ahead of its time really, as it was fully capable of hovering it before hovering was mainstream.

Overall the SuperHots is way overbuilt, especially with the wood contained in the original kit... so as airframes go, in todays world its a real pig... with that said.. its really not even that big of a plane either. But for the violent manuervers that these are also capable of, it won't come apart in any way shape or form.

I would imagine if steps were taken to lighten the structure via lighter materials, or re-engineering somehow a 1.5xHots would do OK with a .91... but I wouldn't bet on it.

The whole reason I installed the .91 was after many years with a .61 on it(it was decent with that, but very middle of the road).. the firewall/cowling bond got weak. So I simply put a new firewall on it, no cowling, glassed the front end up, and bolted on the .91 I had in my cabinet. It did give it a newer, more radical look with a huge open engine, as well as being crazy fast and powerful. I quickly found that combo with a 14x6 prop would sustain a hover virtually as long as I wanted.. with power to pull out vertically..

You might get some performance with a .91 depending on what materials you use.. I just dont know though... and frankly I doubt it.