RCU Forums - View Single Post - Conrol throws for Bipe
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Conrol throws for Bipe

This is a forum, no one is required to answer, if no one has set up or used your plane combo they may not want to give false information. That even happens here sometimes, usually not. Charlie is yanking your chain or flying 3-D but also stating some fact. Just because others have there plane set up with throws they like doesn't mean you would like them at all. I use a lot of Expo, I have friends that hate the feel of my planes. There is a lot of pilot choice in plane set up.
Here is what is said in a throw meter add from Don's hobby shop, they are big into giant scale and 3-D planes.They use a degree meter instead of inches because inches are meaningless, a 1/2 inch deflection on a 1/2 inch wide elevator is far different then 1/2 inch on a 6 inch wide surface but a 12 degrees deflection is the same reguardless of the planes surface size. They also use 12 and 18 degrees as there starting points. I discovered I liked about 10 and 8 but I often set up at 12 and 10 depending on the plane and then after flying I start adding and subtracting my throw rates as needed for the plane. You can buy meters from Don's for about $25.00 but I make my own. I make them in right and left and use them two at a time to make sure each half of a control surface is zeroed/level/ equal. The instructions usually give you a starting point but I have been using degrees so long I no longer bother with the kits starting points, I just know what I like.