RCU Forums - View Single Post - What RC car should I get?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What RC car should I get?

I would advice you to NOT get into 8th scale nitro buggies as your first R/C experience unless you have a big budget and have researched nitro engines and maintenance some. Sure some guys just start with nitro and love it, others have a negative experience and are put off by the learning curve from R/C.

My advice would be to get a "simpler" r/c car to start out, nitro or electric (I will state that I am bias toward electric due to its initial plug and go simplicity).

Traxxas makes great beginner level but quite upgradable and popular models. Bandit, Slash, Rustler, Stampede, or even the T/E-Maxx trucks; most are available in nitro or electric. Others are the Duratrax Evader line of trucks and buggies (2wd) electric and nitro. Of course there are also the mini/micro 1/16th and 1/18th scale stuff that is cheaper like Mini-T or Mini-Desert Truck, Duratrax Vendetta etc.

Just remember there is always some maintenance and the occassional broken parts so you must be comfortable and somewhat adept with a screwdriver and common wrenching tools, maybe even a little soldering for the occassional busted wire/connection. And patience. It took a few months of research before I was comfortable with spending the $190 on a Rustler back in '03. I'd advise you to budget yourself to start out with at least "decent" level batteries and more importantly a charger that can handle and charge batteries of different types so you dont have to by another later on.

Oh, and see what your LOCAL hobby shop carries and supports with parts etc. That will be a key factor in what you want to get so your initial experience is more pleasant, with help and parts physically closer rather than a "click away." Avoid Redcat or other cheaper off brands. They usually don't have local parts support like a Traxxas/HPI/Losi/Associated/Ofna, but more so they are not as higher quality, or tough compared to Traxxas or other brands like Tamiya, etc. though there are always bad apples/lemons in any bunch/brand.

I'm sure there is plenty of useful info in my short rambling there.