RCU Forums - View Single Post - David Boddington 1932 - 2010
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: David Boddington 1932 - 2010

My first DB model was an "Old Bill" semi-scale sport model but my first DB scale model was a plan built 1/6 Sopwith Pup. No one in my club could believe how well a 1/6 scale biplane could fly on an OS 40. I remember thinking during one of its early flights, "Why do I even bother with sport planes when something this pretty flies this well?", and so a scale"life-er" was born.

DB drew hundreds of practical scale models - stuff meant to fly every weekend. I loved getting Radio Control Scale Aircraft when he was at the helm. Frequently there was a .15-.25 size plan that could easily be re-sized if one wished, with pretty much certainty that it would work. But he was also a prolific writer of many, many, "how to" articles. These showed straight forward solutions to lots of everyday problems. His book on scale models, along with Gordon Whitehead's, is still pulled out from time to time.

We all come to our end at some point but I am sorry to hear of his passing. He was one of the greats in our hobby.

Martin