RCU Forums - View Single Post - Savage .21 to flux conversion
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Savage .21 to flux conversion

Ok this is a project I just finished. I have a post on the savage forums but its not really a build thread or anything. More like will it work type stuff.

So heres the condensed version

I decided I missed my savage X too much in winter and wanted an electric one. The flux IMO is WAY too expensive so I decided to go the cheaper way, and get a used Savage. I paid $150 for it shipped with 2 bodies, a JR high torque metal geared steering servo(was main selling point), and a nitro engine in decent shape (its going to be sold off eventually I don't need another nitro big block laying around)

1st pic is of the Savage .21 I won on ebay. It looked like it was in semi-decent shape(or so I thought more on that later)

Once I got it I stripped it down completely to clean it up. While doing that I found out it was missing roughly 60% of its screws, and half the screws it did have had stripped heads or was some random screw the guy forced in. Had to order a complete screw set for it. I also hated the old school radio tray so I ordered a Savage Flux's box (total was $10 for both shipped ). I decided to use a Mamba Monster 2200Kv 1/8th esc/motor combo that I picked up for $250 (wish I went with the HW 1/8th due to issues later)

For the transmission I just popped in the Flux's idler gear($8 shipped) seeing one of the guys in my original thread said that was the only difference. Glad he told me that saved me $50 I was going to blow on a flux tranny. I also had a savage X rollbar laying around so I slapped that on seeing the aluminum one was bent out of shape.

2nd pic is of it after I mounted the motor and ESC with the plates I made out of a sheet of aluminum I had from another project. I decided to mount it in a similar position as to the flux. along with the ESC. The ESC mount plate is probably the easiest thing I've made for a RC yet

3rd and 4th pic are just side shots after the esc and motor were mounted to show it better. I hated the springs neon green look so I ordered a set of black savage X springs for $7.

For the battery box's I used 2 stampede chassis's(GOD I LOVE THEM, they make great battery holders )
Deciding how to mount the pede chassis's probably was the hardest part of the whole conversion, and most time consuming. To this point I spent probably 2-4 hours on actual labor making parts. I spent 2-3 days just looking at it trying to visualize how I could mount them. I finally throught about some delrin rods I bought last year and than was looking at how I could put them on, and came up with a simple solution to the issue. Pic 5 shows the delrin rod and the 2 places I screwed them on. Luckily the .21 chassis had some extra un-used screw holes.
Pic 6 is of the one box mounted. fot a batery cover I used a 1/8th inch clear piece of lexan I had laying around from past projects I worked on.

After I figured that out I decided the box's looked tacky in grey and decided to dye them black with RIT dye. I actually bought the dye a few weeks back to do some rims for my one ST and figured might as well fling the chassis's in with it. I also had to order 4 new axles seeing the last owner had 3 reverse threaded axles on it, and my savage X tires and rims wouldn't work with the nuts that came on the axles.

Pic 7 was taken today before testing today showing the now black chassis's screwed to the side, and the whole thing finished.

Then there is the video I uploaded to youtube. that I took with the same camera that I used for the pics

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQ_u3zJFcM[/youtube]

This is a tad slower than my savage X 4.6.
I actually ran it for around 10 more minutes after the video ends (I found it too big of a pain in the ass to hold a camera while trying to drive). I only ended my run because the pinion gear came loose (I had loctite on it too)

It is running on a 14tpinion/52tspur
In total I spent around $200(including shipping) on the savage to make it able to accept BL (still have the engine to sell which I expect around $70-90 for), and $260 on a mamba monster system. So far I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Honestly only thing I'm not too happy with is the mamba system itself. I wish I saved some cash and would have bought the HW BL 1/8th system. For some reason the mamba hates my radio(Eurgle 3chan 2.4) and will not let me calibrate it properly. I only lucked out because my controller so far matched up with the neutral point on the ESC.

The above video was ran on 2 2S 5200mah 30C Turnigy hard case lipos, I feel they put out way more power than it needs
thing wheelies EASILY and will roll over if I slam on the brakes.

So tell me whatcha think
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43263.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1421580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90752.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1421581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15934.jpg
Views:	131