RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Ok in case this hasn't been posted before, I will go ahead and post it anyway. I have seen some folks asking if they can run a Novak Ballistic/Havoc 5.5 or 6.5 motor on 2s lipo on a Slash 2wd. My verdict is go for it!

I just ran my mostly stock Slash with a Velociti 6.5R sintered motor and Mamba Max esc (sensorless only) with the timing set for "high" 15* and it ran without cogging much at all. The only time it stutters is start up when up a hill etc.

Setup:

Mamba Max ESC
- High timing,
- 40% brakes - could have increased it more, it felt weak for this particular motor

Velociti 6.5R motor w/ sintered rotor (~6500 kv)
Gearing: 18t pinion, 87t spur
2s 5000 mah Turnigy lipo
Runtime: ~ 20 minutes of mostly on-road some offroad hard stop go
Temperatures after run: ~145*F motor, ~115*F ESC, 85-90*F battery. (no cooling fans on anything - Integy my motor fan wouldn't fit due to solder tabs).
Top speed guestimate: ~low-mid 30s.

This same motor powers my Bandit using the GTB ESC and on 2s will barely reach 120*F and propel the buggy to near 35-40 mph speeds.

Keep in mind this was running in sensorless mode, with an ESC not quite adept at smoothly running Novak sensored motors from what I hear and my 1 previous attempt on 3s couple of years ago (stuttered like mad - must have been older firmware and or timing issue).

So if you are looking to buy the Novak GTB/Havoc 5.5-6.5 brushless system for your Slash and were doubtful about heat/weight/speed issues, you can rest easy.

BTW, I blame it on my battery quality and possibly motor heat, but I was able to wheelie initially, but as the battery ran down it was not doing it as much.