RCU Forums - View Single Post - TT 53 Redline leaning out
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Gavin2407

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT 53 Redline leaning out

Good day

I recently purchased a brand new Raptor 50 Titan SE kit from overseas as they are not available here in South Africa yet. Although buying local doesn't work as we are paying 100%-200% more than what we can import items for
Already have a Raptor 50 V2 that has been upgraded with both Titan and SE parts.

Current setup is as follows:

Kit: 4854-K12 Blue
Engine: TT 53H Redline
Muffler: Redline Hi flow 3D pipe
Main blades: Radix 600mm
Tail blades: Radix 95mm
Gyro: JR G770T
Gyro servo: JR 8900G
Cyclic servos: Align DS610
Collective servo: Align DS610
Throttle servo: Align DS610
Receiver: JR RD921 2.4 GHz
Transmitter: JR DSX9
Governor: Zero a (No. 8030)
Rx Battery: JR 4.8V 4500mah NiMH
Fuel: Morgan Low Viscosity 15% (15% nitro, 2% caster/98% synthetic oil, 17% Total oil)

The problem I’m experiencing with this Raptor is on Sunday 25-04-2010 started engine with factory settings (i.e. main needle at 3 turns out & mixture needle at flush with carb body) for the first time and realized with the cold weather we are having that those settings were still to lean as motor was getting a bit hot and high rpm. I tried richening low end another ½ turn out and high to almost 3 1/2 turns out just to get it to still run without getting hot, ran only one tank through in a hover. Yesterday Tuesday 27-04-2010 the day was warmer at about 26-28 degrees Celsius, ran another 7 tanks through to break in engine. The first 5 tanks were just spent hovering and idling in 30 second intervals. On tank 6 decided to do slow, level figure 8’s with engine basically running just past idle. At approximately 1/4 tank left the motor suddenly went very lean as I could hear the head speed increase to + - 2200 rpm by the time I put it down. Felt engine back plate and it was hot but not so that you couldn’t touch it. Found that the nipple on the exhaust pressure line had come loose, tightened it again and left everything to cool off nicely. Later on tank 7 at again 1/4 tank, it went lean again, this time getting hot to the touch. Inspection revealed nothing loose or fuel line leaks. I can’t understand why it keeps going lean and current needle settings are beyond normally rich. Throttle and pitch curve are linear. What would cause this engine to have to run so rich yet still leans out the way it does. Don’t want to destroy a brand new engine. Redline 53 on my other raptor took almost a full 5 litre fuel can to just get enough power to fly beyond hovering. Runs very well now with tons of power, can’t run above 80% throttle as pitch range is only +10 / -10 degrees. Thought by having the new Titan kit with + - 15 degree pitch I could utilise the full potential of this motor. Removing exhaust and back plate revealed no discolouration of any roughness from sleeve, piston, ring or bearings. Only ran 8 tanks which amounts to 2.7 litres of fuel. Please assist with advise on what I could do or check to eliminate this issue.

Regards,

Gavin