RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maj. Woody's Fei Bao L-39
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:47 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maj. Woody's Fei Bao L-39

ORIGINAL: shakes268

I received the model last month. In certain areas the design has changed considerably from the one in this thread.
Some for the better, some for the worse I think.

I did not receive aluminum server mount L-brackets, mine are plastic and I can't find any hardware to fit them - having to dig up old screws of my own.

The pipe exit has a former already built which is nice.

The horizontal stab design changed. The stab is one piece and bolts onto the top above the exhaust exit. It is designed to have the elevator servos mount in the horizontal stab. I've heard several people say that they rebuilt it to work like Dom's plane. If you mount the servos in the stab - you need low profile servos. Even then - they don't fit and will require cutting the stab.

Flap and aileron servos should be standard size servos.

It looks like the canopy may have changed because I can't for the life of me see how the detailed cockpit is going to fit.

This is my first jet - overall, not happy with it. I guess I was naive in expecting the right screw sizes, servos to actually fit, etc. I'm close to being ready to put it on the market. Gorgeous jet - when it arrived I was in awe - but after getting into it, I'm close to looking for something else.

What do you expect for a few thousand dollars? Sorry I couldn't resist. Apparently unless you spend double the amount of money and get a BVM product which I just can't swing, this is what we are stuck with. The best we can hope for is a jet that has structural integrity and the rest is up to us. My first jet was a Reaction 54 kit and although it was a lot of work and is not a scale jet, it's designed to take abuse and after about 150 flights it's still going strong. My JL F-15 had a lot of mods and the Landing gear might as well have been made from aluminum foil. It looked good but that was it. My expectations aren't that high so hopefully I won't be let down.

Thanks for the info on the servos and the hardware. BTW, which sceme did you get?

Marty