RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA & AMA - What's Your Vested Interest?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAA & AMA - What's Your Vested Interest?

Erich / Mark -

I just gatta say that you both have great insights into the situation and I thank you both for sharing and continuing to share your thoughts. Especially since you both have a keen eye for the workings of General Aviation, and in Erich's case, the sUAS market.

Hmm, I might be plugging into both of your brains a bit more for insight in the near future. May I?

Mark -
I agree with your statement about the trooper. That's what gets me frustrated when I'm trying to explain my position at times. How to you get someone to see that the very person they're pushing out the door may be the very person they will need assistance from in the future!? It's almost a Catch 22 at times. Yet, I stand by my reasoning that even though we are different beasts - we still need to understand each others workings.

But, how do you get someone to understand something when they blatenly choose not to?

From my experience, I sense a lot of resentment toward any outside industries that impact R/C. I see a lot of people not wanting to realizing that todays aviation technologies are changing the rules. Rules by which we've come to live by. But change is good, right?

Erich -

I'm particularly intrigued by your insight via the sUAS industry. I'm curious about your stance per your statement, "This is also to create a regulatory distinction between those using RC model based commercial vehicles and recreational models. This is just more red tape that over all is not beneficial to the model industry."

Could you elaborate a bit more?

Personally, I believe there needs to be some type of regulatory distinction in place. If not, I would see it as defending so vague a position that we could come across as 'blurring the line' - which we all know the FAA doesn't look to kindly upon.

Also, as I stated before, I'm not a fan of a large r/c jet (piloted by someone who's got the cash to afford it but can't fly it) potentially making us all look bad as it blows through your baggage door on the 182!

So here are some questions (albeit toung-in-cheek, I'm serious):

Where do we start? What should we do or would you suggest in order to begin a road to assembling our thoughts and stance for the preservation of our hobby? Again, I'm serious when I ask this.

Thanks again guys. Great conversation...

_andrew