RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA & AMA - What's Your Vested Interest?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAA & AMA - What's Your Vested Interest?

Sport_Pilot -
Makes sense. A lot of sense. And that's one of the many questions that I have pondered because, at one time, I was an avid sailplane'r. Kinda shoots down the idea of sailing the skies when you can't go above 400 feet! Valid point indeed.

A second valid point is your comment about the AMA representing us as a whole. That resonates w/in me and apparently in others as well. I'm noticing that through this thread (and others that I've read) there are some overarching questions like:

1) Why do we rely on the AMA?
2) What do they provide for us?
3) How can we grow using the AMA?

And of course those are valid questions. And I believe the AMA is beginning to see the rumblings/grumblings from the community about those concerns. Henceforth the call for applicants to the Strategic Task Force - they know they need to change.

Silent-AV8R makes a good point as well. The FAA will make rulings with or without us. And while we may not get exactly what we want, knowing what they are planning and at least making our case (regardless of what happens) gives us the edge to plan accordingly. And I really don't see the FAA wanting to harm us but, we need to know why they're thinking the way they are. If we know where they sit, even if we DON'T agree with them, then at least certain decisions don't come as a surprise and we can work within our own bounds to make the best of what we've been given.

cj_rumley -
I guess my for or against position stands within the hobby community. Do we want to be dictated to or at least have our voice known? If the latter, we at least stand a chance and can be heard (as the AMA is trying to do with the ARC proposal). And I agree, I'm no smoke and mirrors person either. I want to hear it from the horses mouth, and this horse is speaking his mind.

Mode One -
Your welcome and I welcome your position and thoughts as well. If AOPA can grow and be formed from a large group of 'miniature sky lawyers' why can't we? And for as much as their interests don't alight all the time with the FAA, you can't argue that they're voice isn't heard by the Govt.

Thanks all. Keep the thoughts going…